To Blog or Not to Blog?
The trend of ad blockers is growing. People are paying for streaming services that eliminate advertising. People are turning to articles and reviews to help them make purchase decisions. Social media sites are the new broadcast media. These facts mean it’s imperative that you create great content to capture your customer’s attention. That content is often a blog.
Blogs use words to persuade your audience. Blogs tell a story potential customers want to read. Blogs help your target market see themselves aligned with your brand. Blogs explain why your product or service is the best fit. Blogs allow for tracking. Blogs help inspire sales. Blogs increase SEO. Your brand can benefit from blogging if educating the consumer on what’s new or important about your brand will help you acquire and keep customers.
Blogs: the Offspring of the Marriage of Art and Science
My clients that love free expression can get disillusioned when the data shows them their favorite message didn’t land. The worst part of my work is having to kill those client’s darlings.
My clients focused on the business outcomes get frustrated by the art of persuasion. Writing that inspires action requires attention to word choice and sentence structure. The difficulty with these clients is explaining that the art of it requires trying to predict human response. All of marketing is an experiment, after all. The science is in the observation of what happened after you publish.
The good news is that your blog can be both creative and effective with a good, strong process in place.
I believe I have nearly perfected the art and science of blogging. With my structured approach to creativity, my clients are happy with the results. I’ve turned my process into a checklist, because I love being efficient. I also love seeing how the messages worked, so reporting is on this checklist. I am both an artist and a social scientist at heart.
Dawn’s Blogging Checklist.
Italics are my rationale for each step in the process.
Ensure blog post is in line with brand position and market norms. Choose best persuasive tactic.
2. Conduct online research for support information, outbound links, and previous client posts relevant to topic
Increase SEO. Provide social proof for concepts and assertions.
3. Write outline + Client approval
Ensure content direction before investing too much time and energy.
4. 1st draft of blog post + up to 2 rounds of client requested edits + final approval
Ensure client is on board with the message and representation. Allow time for more important messages to surface as inspired by original.
5. Edit for sentence fluency, grade level, ease of comprehension
Ensures content can be easily consumed by online readers.
6. Research search term frequency, format section titles and tags with terms
Increases the likelihood that search engines will find the blog. Allows members of the target market to find the content.
7. Research top relevant search queries, format title to match queries
Proper preparation for ease of consumption and ease of locating the content.
Improve SEO rankings.
9. Develop custom image: Stock photo + logo + slogan + brand color overlay + SEO and accessibility-friendly file name
Proper presentation for SEO, persuasion, brand recognition, and the rights of those with visual disabilities.
10. Create custom tracked link with value proposition
Reinforce the message, track link performance by number of clicks, and platform of origin.
11. Tag link for client and purpose
Efficient reporting and pattern observation.
12. Research and Identify relevant hashtags
Improve odds of the target audience finding the content on social platforms.
13. Schedule for distribution across platforms
Reinforce the message, track link performance by number of clicks and platform of origin.
14. Report on number of clicks to post from each platform to determine amplification per platform.
Indicates success of messaging and formatting. Informs on how to format and focus the message of further blog posts. Informs on type of content to place on each platform.
15. Report on most popular social media posts related to the blog
Informs future formatting and focuses the message of future blog posts. Informs on overall market value of the message and client offering.
Want to talk about how blogging can help your business?