As the saying goes, “people do business with people they know, like and trust.” People turn to online content for reasons to trust. Before making a purchase decision, people do online research. The content you present is the first step in attracting the business you’re targeting.
Have a set of written articles on the information they are looking for, and you gain that trust.
What’s the ROI of Blogging?
Potential clients ask me this all the time. They want to know what the return on their money will be if they pay for my ghostwriting services.
I’ve been bewildered by this question often. People generally don’t make any actual purchases or hiring decisions directly from your article. I can’t say with certainty, each dollar spent on a writer yields 10 dollars in return. But I CAN say with certainty that showing expertise through writing brings your audience closer to choosing to do business with you.
ROI for content is not measured in dollars. It is measured in conversions.
How Do Blogs and Articles Contribute to Conversion?
A conversion is measured as a desired action taken. Give people something to do, track that behavior, and measure it.
Okay, But How Does Measuring a Conversion Make Money?
Conversion metrics should be tied to business objectives. Typical business objectives for blog posts and articles are –
- Grow brand awareness
- Grow target communities
- Increase brand loyalty
- Convert fans to loyal brand advocates
But Where’s the MONEY????
I know – you want to know how investing in written content will get you more money.
Each of these business objectives does have a sales objective it will lead to.
- Brand awareness – this begins the relationship. “Hey, that guy really knows how to solve that problem.” Or, “I never thought about it that way before. She’s right.” You are becoming a trusted expert to these people.
- Grow target communities – this is when people join up to get closer to you. Follow you on social media, join your Facebook group, sign up for your email list, etc.
- Increase brand loyalty – once they see your true value, you become the go-to for your expertise, product, or service.
- Convert to loyal brand advocates – these people know what you’re up to. They understand the value you bring. They are willing to spread the word without you asking them to.
Okay, I See the Money Making Potential, But What Do You Measure?
Choosing the right metric is important if you want to measure the value of your investment.
- Brand awareness – number of unique visitors, number of social shares, number of clicks to your article.
- Grow target communities – number of people coming in per distribution source. Your specific audiences on Twitter, reading your guest post, and market data from analytics software.
- Increase brand loyalty – numbers of clicks to sales page, email list sign-ups, people joining your group, current customers coming from your newsletter are all examples.
- Convert to loyal brand advocates – number of people purchasing one offer and then purchasing another offer later, number of shares on social media, number of people who return again and again to your website, webinars, or other online platforms.
In short, measure the actions that show that a relationship is building between your brand and your high value audience. Choose to create calls to action that encourage an ongoing relationship with your brand.
I’m Still Not Sure If Writing Articles Will Lead to More Money
Here’s a customer testimonial on Google for one of my clients and questions to think about:
“Earlier this year I read a blog that Goldi shared in her newsletter about why wait until an injury to visit your Chiropractor, when you can likely avoid injury with regular maintenance with chiropractic care? I took her advice and have been visiting Goldi every few weeks since the beginning of the year. So far I have been injury free in my trouble areas; neck, back and shoulders. Thank you Goldi for making the Triathlon Training season smooth and injury free!”
What’s the lifetime value of ONE customer like this?
What’s the lifetime value of a group of customers like this?
That is how you measure Blog ROI.
Plant the seed with quality content. Watch your income grow as people who start off not knowing you begin to tell everyone about you.